Monday, May 19, 2014

Raw Orange and Blueberry Cheesecake

Who sais you can't have a healthy cheesecake? Well to be honest, it's not really cheese but instead what the raw foodies call, 'cheeze' - cashews blended up. It may sound strange but believe me, it tastes damn good!

I found an interesting recipe online for an orange and blueberry cheesecake which I had most of the ingredients for, or at least I knew I could get relatively easily and at a reasonable price. So a few weeks ago I made this delicious cake and ate most of it (over a couple of weeks), bar about 3 slices which I gave to Ms Tjak and Rave to try. With glowing reviews on the taste I decided to make it again for Gaffa to try the next time he is home (which is this weekend yay yay yay!).
The recipe is quite simple and quick to make. The patience comes when you put it in the freezer and have to wait for it to harden up before eating it. Or waiting for it to defrost because your freezer has frozen it too much (which is what I had to do!)

Some points I noticed while making this:

- The recipe asks for 2 cups of nuts to 1 cup of dates. I found that the base didn't stick together enough so I added another half cup of dates. I've worked out that 1 cup is approx 10 dates (this is of course depending on the size of your Medjool dates). So I added 15 dates in total and it came to a nice sticky base but still crunchy from the nuts.

- The recipe calls for 3/4 cups of orange juice and the zest of all the oranges you used. The first time round I didn't know how many oranges would give me 3/4 cup of juice. So I juiced first and found it so hard to zest afterwards. So make sure you grate the orange zest before you juice the oranges. I found 2 oranges is enough but I guess it depends on how juicy your oranges are. I used naval oranges.

- I used frozen blueberries for the top layer. I found it easier to spread ontop of the cheese layer after putting the cake tin in the fridge for a bit to harden up. I also took out the blueberries to defrost first so when you mix it with the 1/4 cup cheese it won't be too thick and will be easier to spread.

The cake is very refreshing with the zest and the orange flavour goes well with the blueberries. Enjoy, try not to eat it all at once!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...